Compensate a Research or Survey Participant

Individuals, including VCU employees, students, and non-employees, who participate in VCU research or survey projects may be compensated through any of the below methods.

Compensation for research/survey participation must be reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) when compensation exceeds $600 per calendar year. Principal investigators or survey coordinators must maintain accurate records of participants and compensation provided, and research participants must be notified of applicable tax implications.

Procurement Methods and Instructions