Chrome River is the university’s comprehensive travel expense reimbursement tool. This system allows university employees to manage Pre-Approvals, track Expense Reports, run reports, and submit and receive reimbursements in the most cost-effective, timely and efficient manner possible. VCU travelers who paid for pre-authorized, business-related travel expenses with personal funds may be reimbursed in accordance with policy. Reimbursement requests should be submitted within 30 days from return of travel. All reimbursement requests must be accompanied by receipts and/or supporting documentation. Failure to include any required documentation may unnecessarily delay the reimbursement.
Quick link to Chrome River
To bookmark the page in your web browser, copy & paste the link below:
Step by Step
Collect All Receipts and/or Supporting DocumentationView Documentation for Travel & Food Expenses table.
Although not all-inclusive, the following information is required for expense reimbursement and must be submitted:
- Reason for travel and any unusual fees such as charges for changing reservation/ticket
- Internet confirmation pages of expenses if online methods were used to procure services (If a Boarding pass is not available, itinerary and proof that the trip was taken is required)
- Reason for business phone calls or facsimiles
- Itemized receipt for lodging or comparative statement if alternative lodging is used (i.e., apartment)
- Itemized receipts for business meals and overtime meals.
- Final itemized vehicle rental and gas receipts
- Approval for use of private or State-owned aircraft
- Receipts required if claim for the following expenses is more than $75:
- Airline baggage fees
- Business Center (i.e. fax, printing)
- Telecomm (i.e. phone calls, Internet)
- Registration Fees
Generally, credit card statements are not sufficient documentation to support the reimbursement of travel expenses.
If a receipt is missing altogether, the traveler must provide proof of payment in the form of a credit card statement or copy of front and back side of cashed check and submit a written memo detailing why the receipt is not available.
If a receipt is missing and proof of payment is not available, expenses must be charged to local funds and approved by the VP.
If a situation arises in which an itemized receipt is not available for a business meal, a written explanation stating whether or not alcohol was purchased is required.
- If alcohol was not purchased, the amount may be placed on state funds
- If alcohol was purchased, the entire amount must be placed on local funds
Submit the Reimbursement through Chrome River with Receipts and/or Supporting Documentation
Chrome River FAQ’s, Training, and Helpful Resources
Chrome River FAQS.
Procurement Services offers Chrome River hands-on classroom training sessions for both the beginner user and the more advanced user. Please visit the following webpage to learn more about training classes offered by Procurement Services: http://procurement.vcu.edu/i-want-to/receive-training/
For More Information
Travel & Corporate Card Services »
912 W. Grace Street, 5th Floor
Richmond, Virginia 23284