Table of Contents
- Grants & Contracts Accounting
- Grant Deficit Report G And C All Reports In The Reporting Center (FinanceFolder):
- Update from Cathy Short, Training Manager, On Future NCURA Workshops SPA 1 And SPA II
- Subaccount Form/Grant Establishment
- Effort Reporting
- Upcoming Initiatives
- Procurement Services
- So You Want To Know . . . Why Does It Take So Long To Review A Contract?
- Contracts Team - New Master Contracts
- Preparation For Realsource Go-Live
- List Of Vendors From The Supplier Diversity Exchange Now Available
- Travel Services Training Dates And Registration Links
Grants & Contracts Accounting
Grant Deficit Report G And C All Reports In The Reporting Center (FinanceFolder):
Based upon requests received from fiscal administrators, the consolidated Deficit Report is now available in VCU Reporting Center (Finance Folder). The consolidated report will combine the two previous reports. Please note, the prior reports remain available as well.
Update from Cathy Short, Training Manager, On Future NCURA Workshops SPA 1 And SPA II
The VCU Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) will host two NCURA (National Council of University Research Administrators) workshops at VCU in 2019.
Fundamentals of Sponsored Projects Administration - Level I (April 1 - 3):
Program description: A broad overview of various aspects involved in sponsored project administration. Topics include: preparation and review of proposals; negotiation and acceptance of awards; financial and administrative management; closeout and audit; and relevant compliance issues.
More information is available on the OSP website:
VCU registration: https://training.vcu.edu/course_detail.asp?ID=17088
Sponsored Projects Administration - Level II (September 18 - 20):
Program description: For more experienced research administrators, this workshop includes in-depth instruction in four core aspects of research administration: institutional compliance responsibilities; proposal creation and submission; contract and subaward review; and post award financial administration. Topics will be explored through a broad overview, case study analysis and discussion.
More information is available on the OSP website:
VCU registration: https://training.vcu.edu/course_detail.asp?ID=17091
Those interested in the Level I workshop should register by the first week in March if possible. Registration may open up to other universities sometime in March depending on space availability in the program.
Please contact Cathy Short (email@example.com) with questions.
Subaccount Form/Grant Establishment
A copy of the subaccount form will be updated on our website in the near future. For now, to access a copy of the form, please open this google doc. This form will assist the home department, sub-department, and G&C will partnering and managing post award matters. On behalf of G&C, we would like the OSP and G&C Handoff committee for the new form.
We have received requests from departments regarding guidance on account reconciliation. We are happy to report that the new and improved website is now available. The University’s guidance on Banner account reconciliations, as well as the fiscal handbook, is available via the links below.
If you have questions regarding the Fiscal Handbook, please contact (804) 828-0388 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your assistance is needed with current and upcoming Effort Reporting deadlines:
- The certification period for the First Semi-Annual Term (06/10/18 to 12/09/18) was released on 02/22/19, and certifications are due by 04/21/19.
- The certification period for the Fall Semester Term (08/10/18 to 12/24/18) was released on 01/22/19, and certifications are due by 03/21/19.
- The certification period for the Second Quarter Term (09/10/18 to 12/09/18) was released on 01/15/19, and certifications are due by 03/14/19.
Your assistance is needed with past Effort Reporting deadlines:
- Outstanding certifications for the following periods are overdue:
- The certification period for the Second Semi-Annual Term (12/10/2017 through 06/09/2018) was released on 10/08/18, with a certification deadline of 12/07/18.
Please encourage your certifiers with outstanding statements to certify as soon as possible, and please process any certified statements you may have in your queue. Our office continues to follow up on these as well.
If you have any questions or need assistance with Effort, please feel free to contact Effort Reporting at email@example.com.
Thank you - We appreciate your partnership in post award matters.
So You Want To Know . . . Why Does It Take So Long To Review A Contract?
There are two statements we often hear in Procurement Services:
- “My contract has been in place for 10 years with no problem and now all of the sudden the review takes a month.”
- “My contract is low-dollar and a one-time purchase, and I have been waiting two weeks for a signed contract.”
The responses to these statements are often based on the need to update contract terms due to Virginia law and University policy, the time it takes to work with vendors and other departments, and sheer volume—Procurement Services reviews more than 100 contracts a month!
“Okay, but what do you do with the contract once you receive it?”
Procurement Services endeavors to accomplish several goals by collaborating with you, VCU departments, and the vendor to ensure the contract:
- Clearly tells each party what it must do
- Makes good business sense
- Complies with Virginia law and VCU policy
- States what happens if a party fails to meet its obligations.
In order to accomplish these goals certain things have to occur, for example:
- A written contract document must exist
- The parties have to be willing to negotiate
- The parties need certain information
- The parties need time to negotiate
- The parties have to agree
So you want to know why a contract takes so long to be reviewed—it’s all of the above!
Contracts Team - New Master Contracts
You may have noticed that the look of certain contracts has changed and here’s why. In an effort to streamline the review of contracts, we are targeting vendors that are used frequently by the University and developing template contracts and master service agreements (MSA). These templates and MSAs contain negotiated terms and conditions that comply with VCU’s requirements. Each of these templates and MSAs may be revisited each year, or as needed, to confirm the contracts still comply with VCU requirements.
What does this mean for my department when we want to use one of these contracts? Thanks for asking!
- The agreed upon terms and conditions are on file here in Procurement
- Event-specific paperwork will be sent to the department
- The department should read the paperwork to confirm it accurately reflects the services you need
- The department should then forward the paperwork to firstname.lastname@example.org with a PR for signature
- A signed copy will be sent back to the department for countersignature by vendor
Maymont and Winn Transportation
- The department will send to email@example.com all documents provided by the vendor with a PR
- The Contracts Team will attach as an exhibit the vendor’s documents to the VCU template
- The template with exhibit is signed here in Procurement
- The executed template contract with exhibit will be sent back to the department for countersignature by vendor
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preparation For Realsource Go-Live
Throughout March, the RealSource Project Office will be engaging departments in various RealSource pre-production activities. They include:
- Verifying user roles and permissions
- Reviewing POs that require closure and are not slated to move to RealSource, and
- Ensuring appropriate staff are trained
Given the significance of all of the 3 items above, we will need departments to be fully responsive, so that RealSource is accessible to Requesters/Approvers, appropriate POs can be captured and migrated and users know how to set up their profiles and use the tool. Full instructions and deadlines for completion of items 1 and 2, will be provided in targeted emails. The training schedule will be publicized and posted on the RealSource website and VCU’s training website. While an actual go-live date is pending the completion of a handful of important tasks, the date will be provided as soon as possible.
List Of Vendors From The Supplier Diversity Exchange Now Available
As many of you know, the Office of Procurement Services held the Supplier Diversity Exchange in December of last year. This event was an exciting opportunity to engage with area SWaM vendors who offer goods and services frequently purchased at VCU. We have since received a listing of all vendors who attended the event, many of whom you may have connected with and whose services could benefit your area. We would like to provide a listing of those vendors, below, for your reference. Please feel free to use this list to find relevant providers.
Click here for the Supplier Diversity Exchange Vendor List. In the future, we hope to release a searchable listing of vendors who attend events like the exchange at VCU. That resource will be searchable by vendor’s industry or commodities they provide. Please keep an eye out for additional information on searchable resources in future FA Newsletters!
Please note that the above list is far from exhaustive. Many more SWaM vendors in Virginia offer thousands of products, goods, and services. You can use the “Reporting and Resource Center” within eVA to search for SWaM vendors by name, goods provided, and several other useful search terms. If you have any questions about transacting with SWaM vendors, please contact Cornelius Hunt at email@example.com or John Kostyniuk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for helping to meet and exceed VCU’s spend goals with Small Women and Minority-Owned Businesses!
Travel Services Training Dates And Registration Links
Travel & Reimbursable Expenses Policy Training - March 12, 9:00am - 11:00am
Chrome River Hands-On Training - March 19, 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Christopherson Business Travel Hands-On Training - March 19, 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Travel & Reimbursable Expenses Policy Training - April 2, 9:00am - 11:00am
Chrome River Hands-On Training - April 11, 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Christopherson Business Travel Hands-On Training April 18, 9:00am - 11:00am