Like all public institutions, VCU must abide by established policies. VCU's policies are governed by Subchapter 2 of the Restructured Higher Education Financial and Administrative Operations Act, § 23-38.88 et seq of the Code of Virginia and Chapters 824 and 829, Acts of Assembly, 2008. The Commonwealth of Virginia Purchasing Manual for Institutions of Higher Education and their Vendors specifies those policies. These policies are structured to support the mission of higher education and to comply with the principals of the Virginia Public Procurement Act.
Procurement Services is responsible for the procurement function for all departments within the University in accordance with established policies. Responsibilities include:
- Ensure that all procurements are conducted in a fair and impartial manner with avoidance of any impropriety or appearance of impropriety.
- Provide the proper quantity and quality of products and services at the appropriate time and location required by the institution.
- Secure such products and services at competitive prices, consistent with prevailing economic conditions.
- Administers the eVA system for VCU users. This includes providing training, granting access, and ensuring compliance with the use of the system. Procurement Services also communicates updates to users regarding system upgrades, deadlines, and integration alerts.
- Ensure that professionalism is not only promoted but also maintained by the procurement staff.