Travel advances may be issued to University faculty and staff to aid with the purchase of travel related expenses. Travel Advances must be requested through Chrome River as an Expense Report. Travel Advances are no longer associated with Pre-Approvals and are not required to be attached to the Expense Report containing the advance request.
Travel Advance Procedures
- The travel advance must be settled within 30 days from the last date of travel.
- If the advance remains unsettled 45 days from the last date of travel, paperwork will be sent to Payroll to recover the full amount of the advance through payroll deduction and the department will be charged a $50 administrative late fee . Additional travel advances will not be issued to any individual who is delinquent in settling a travel advance.
- Travel advances are not issued to employees who have a sufficient line of credit on the corporate travel card or whose corporate travel card has been cancelled by the corporate card program administrator due to delinquent payments, personal use or failure to respond to audit and compliance requests. Advances are not issued for air or rail fares, since those expenses may be paid directly to the approved travel agencies or paid through the corporate card programs.
- Advances are not issued if expenses are estimated to be less than $100. Advances will only be issued in whole dollar amounts.
- In situations where an advance remains unsettled because the traveler is no longer associated with the University, or the traveler is affiliated with the University but is not on the University payroll system, the department that approved the advance becomes responsible for repayment.
Step by Step
Process the Travel Advance in Chrome River
Log into Chrome River and go to the Expense Tab. Select Request a New Expense Report. Choose Travel Advance from the expense bar. The “Pay Date” is the date that VCU Treasury will send your deposit to your bank. Please allow up to 3 business days for your bank to make the funds available. The “Pay Date” must be no more than 10 days prior to the Start Date of travel. Please also fill in the trip start and end dates. There is no need to choose an index code since the funds come from the Travel Advance clearing account.
Track the Travel Advance in Chrome River
The travel advance will reside in your “Submitted Expenses” queue on the Expense tab. Once the travel advance has been approved, it will be sent to Banner with the status “Exported.” Once the travel advance has been paid, the status will change to “Paid,” and it will appear in red on your Chrome River Dashboard as a “Cash Advance” bank.
Reconcile your expenses after your trip
Complete an expense report as normal. Choose the index codes approved to source the expenses. These accounts will be debited, while the Travel Advance clearing account is credited. If completed, attach the Pre-approval with this Expense Report when time to submit. Any Expense Reports submitted for reimbursement will be deducted from your Cash Advance bank regardless of the trip. Please ensure that the cash advance is settled within 45 days from the End Date of the trip indicated on the Travel Advance request.
Reconcile your Cash Advance bank within 45 days
If you have an outstanding Cash Advance balance in Chrome River, and you will not submit any new Expense Reports to meet the 45 day deadline to settle the advance, a check made payable to VCU for the difference must be mailed or dropped off at Procurement Services. A copy of the Chrome River PDF Report associated with the Travel Advance should accompany the check.