Skip Navigation

March 2013

Table of Contents

Procurement Services

Use a P-Card to Book Travel Tickets

The P-Card may be used for booking air and rail travel. P-card reviewers should contact Corporate Card Services at corpcard@vcu.eduto request an increase to the card's monthly and transaction limits and/or to have the airfare and rail restrictions lifted. Reviewers may also want to check and determine whether any additional internal departmental approvals are required. P-Card purchases for air and rail travel do not need to be entered in eVA.

  • Travel Cardholders should use the P-Card to charge air and rail expenses rather than the Travel Card.
  • The P-Cardholder is the only person authorized to use the card. If the cardholder will be away from the University for an extended period, another person in the department should obtain a card.

For more information, please go to:

Should you have any questions, please contact Thelma Stockton (8-4232) or Lena Massie (8-3407).

Travel Update - VCU Passport

Procurement Services will be hosting Town Halls in early March to review transition information and provide guidance for moving to the electronic processes. We will review the final options for a School’s pre-trip and reimbursement approval flow and the details of the new guest traveler form. Attendance by fiscal administrators is strongly encouraged. Town Halls are scheduled for:

Monday, March 4: Commons Theatre 1-3PM
Tuesday, March 5: George Ben Johnston Auditorium 9-11AM
Tuesday, March 12: Commons Theatre 9-11AM
Wednesday, March 13: George Ben Johnston Auditorium 9-11AM
Monday, March 18: Commons Theatre 1-3PM
Wednesday, March 20: George Ben Johnston Auditorium 9-11AM

Campus-wide training is currently scheduled to begin in late March. The three hour sessions will be held in computer classrooms on both campuses starting March 25. Individuals can sign up for training through the IT Training website, beginning mid-March. Instructions can be found in the I Want To Receive Training section on Procurement Services website. Procurement Services has reserved the resources to provide 18 training sessions each week until the systems go live on April 15. Please take an opportunity to attend a group session. Individual training will not be available in April.

Training sessions the week of March 25 will primarily focus on training the FAs and Travel Arrangers. Sessions for Travelers and Approvers will be offered the two weeks following. Procurement Services will be leaning on FAs and Travel Arrangers to help those travelers and approvers who could not make it to a training session. Please ensure that you attend the session that fits your needs.

Stay tuned for a training video! Procurement Services will post on their website a Chrome River training video that individuals can use in addition to or in place of training.

For specific questions related to VCU Passport, please contact Katie Kelly at 8-1078.

Punchout Catalogs & Electronic Invoicing

Procurement Services is working with several vendors to achieve efficiency in ordering and paying invoices, as well as ensuring departments are obtaining the correct contract pricing. The goal is to use the punchout catalogs in eVA which enables the vendor to receive/process the order, and issue the invoice electronically. Electronic invoices are loaded directly into Banner and do not require input by Accounts Payable. Currently, the vendors that are punchout are Dell, Santa Cruz and VWR.

In order to achieve success with this process it is necessary for eVA users to enter their orders using the punchout catalog. Information about electronic invoice vendors is located at: The vendors that require the use of punchout catalogs are designated on the electronic invoice list with “Punchout Catalog” designated by the vendor name. Also, it is important to note the special instructions for vendors that are denoted in red and underlined. The special instructions can be viewed by clicking on the vendor name or from the Related Documents field.

If you have questions, please contact Jamie Holcomb at or 628-2877, or Betty Lowther at or 828-5954.

Imaging/Scanning P-Card Transaction Documentation

Departments are authorized to image/scan P-Card transaction documentation (e.g., receipts, packing slips, etc.) for record retention purposes. The P-Card reviewer is responsible for ensuring the imaged documents are clearly legible and not altered. Provided the imaged documentation is legible and not altered, the original paper documentation may be destroyed. Departments still have the option of retaining paper supporting documentation if desired.

Additionally, the P-Card reviewer must ensure that the cardholder has no access to destroy or modify the imaged documentation once it has been scanned. A best practice would be ensuring all electronic images are properly backed up in the event of a hard disc crash. Use of ImageNow is highly recommended.

Imaged documents must be retained for the current fiscal year plus three additional fiscal years. Documentation for purchases made using grant indexes may need to be retained for a longer period, and departments should refer to the specific grant for record retention requirements.

Should you have any questions, please contact Thelma Stockton (8-4232) or Lena Massie (8-3407).

OCE/Canon Transition Revised Instructions

Effective January 1, 2013, payments can no longer be made to OCE Imagistics. If you have open purchase orders to OCE Imagistics, please follow the instructions below:

  1. Use your purchasing card (P-Card) for the remainder of the contract. If you do not have a P-Card you will need to have someone in your department that has a P-Card pay this monthly or quarterly payment for the remainder of the contract.
  2. Contact our Canon representative, Fareka Laing in Credit & Collections. Fareka can be reached at 609-741-2287, If she is not available, another customer service representative should be able to assist you. You will need to reference VCU’s account number 1514516 and your purchase order number issued to OCE. For future payments, you may want to consider setting up your account to pay your invoices online through eManage. The link to eManage is: You will need to register as a Business Administrator and you only need to register one serial number. Be sure to select the option that is not listed as \"Quick Access\". After completing the registration process your account will be activated by Canon. This could take 1-2 days. Once the account is activated there is a link under the \"Account Management\" tab in eManage that says \"Make a Payment\" and you will be able to pay open invoices with your P-Card.
  3. For your P-Card reconciliation please use the EP# that is already created. You do not have to create a new PCO.
  4. Remove the remainder of the encumbrance on the EP in Banner.

If you have questions please contact Patricia Shazer at 828-5067 or, or Jackie Glover at 828-0903 or

Credit Card Surcharge

Effective January 27, 2013, merchants in the U.S. and U.S. territories may impose a surcharge to certain credit card transactions. This is a direct result of a legal settlement to resolve claims brought by a class of retailers in 2005. Both personal credit cards and University P-Cards are affected.

Merchants choosing to impose a surcharge must follow consumer disclosure and other requirements agreed to as part of the settlement. The following are important points to remember:

  • Merchants are only allowed to impose a fee that is no more than what they pay to accept credit cards, which in the U.S. is typically between 1.5 percent and 4 percent.
  • Consumers may only be charged a fee for credit card usage. Merchants may not charge fees to customers for their use of debit or prepaid cards.
  • Retailers intending to impose a surcharge on credit card purchases are required to notify customers before customers make an actual purchase. Notification must occur at the store entrance and at the point of sale, or on the first page of an online environment that references credit card brands.
  • Retailers must disclose surcharge fees on every receipt, both in store and online (sample receipt attached).

To date, Procurement Services has not seen any surcharges added to P-Card transactions. Please notify either Thelma Stockton (8-4232) or Lena Massie (8-3407) if a vendor has added a surcharge to your P-Card transaction without advance notice.

Renovations Reminder

All renovations, construction, repairs or alterations to buildings must be coordinated and administered through Facilities Management. Additional information is contained in a February 14 memo from David Hanson which is available on our website at: Renovation-and-Construction-Policy-Update.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Personal Use Account

Virginia Commonwealth University now has a Personal Use account with Enterprise Rent-A-Car, which is separate from the VASCUPP contract. The Personal Use Account number is XZ21294. This account will provide the contracted rates that VCU employees receive for business use; however, Damage Waiver insurance will not be included. The personal use account will not offer exemption from taxes, vehicle license fee or underage driver fees. If you have questions, please contact Betty Lowther at or 828-5954.

Procurement Services Classes

The Office of Procurement Services offers many different classroom and online training opportunities. A full list and brief description of each class can be found on the Procurement Services website under Training and Support Services.

To register for available classroom classes, go to Choose “Office of Procurement Services” under “Sponsor”. Select the appropriate class and follow the instructions to register. Please note: Registrants are encouraged to keep an eye on their e-mail in the week preceding a class. Low registration numbers will result in a class cancellation.

To access classes available on Blackboard, go to using your VCU eID and password and click on the “Courses” tab in the top row. Search by the class title.

ePrint Budget Reports

FGRBDSC and FGRODTA reports are now available on e~Print at

As you review the reports you may have questions concerning the data contained within them. Please briefly outline your questions on a Financial Inquiry and forward directly to the appropriate department via e-mail, fax, or campus mail. Remember that you can check the status of deposits or disbursements through the on-line inquiry screens.

[Back to Top]