Table of Contents
- Procurement Services
- Punchout Catalogs & Electronic Invoicing
- Conflict Of Interest And Ethics In Public Contracting
- Copiers – Oce Imagistics Acquired By Canon
- Authorized Approver
- P-Card Paper Statement Elimination And Bank Of America Works System Changes
- Procurement Services Classes
- Controller’s Office
- Salary Encumbrances In Banner Finance
- Grants & Contracts Accounting Updates
- Effort Reporting And ECRT Updates
- ePrint Budget Reports
Procurement Services is working with the several vendors to achieve efficiency in ordering and paying invoices, as well as ensuring departments are obtaining the correct contract pricing. The goal is to use the punchout catalogs in eVA which enables the vendor to receive/process the order, and issue the invoice electronically. Electronic invoices are loaded directly into Banner and do not require input by Accounts Payable.
In order to achieve success with this process it is necessary for eVA users to enter their orders using the punchout catalog. Information about electronic invoice vendors is located at: http://procurement.vcu.edu/i-want-to/pay-a-vendor/submit-an-invoice/. The vendors that require the use of punchout catalogs are designated on the electronic invoice list with “Punchout Catalog” designated by the vendor name.
Users must use these vendors punchout catalogs once the vendor is moved to electronic invoicing. If you have questions, please contact Jamie Holcomb at firstname.lastname@example.org or 628-2877, or Betty Lowther at email@example.com or 828-5954.
As a public institution, employees are required by the Code of Virginia to comply with the Conflict of Interests Act §2.2-3100 et seq. and the Ethics in Public Contracting §2.2-4367 et seq. Some basic things to remember follow.
Every University employee is prohibited from:
- accept money, gifts, transportation, lodging, meals, event tickets, etc. from vendors
- participating in a procurement if the employee is employed by a company involved in the transaction, or if the employee's immediate family holds a position with a company or has a financial interest in the transaction
- having a separate contract as a vendor to provide goods/services to the University
This is not a comprehensive list of the Code requirements. These items are being highlighted since these come up with some frequency. As public employees, we are all held to a higher ethical standard because of the vital importance of maintaining public trust.
If you have any questions regarding conflict of interest or ethics, please contact Betty Lowther at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-5954.
OCE has recently been purchased by Canon. Effective January 1, 2013 all invoices are being submitted by Canon and cannot be paid to OCE. If you have open purchase orders issued to Oce Imagistics, please follow the instructions below:
- Use your purchasing card (P-Card) for the remainder of the contract. If you do not have a P-Card you will need to have someone in your department that has a P-Card pay this monthly or quarterly payment for the remainder of the contract.
- Contact Canon Customer service at 1-800-613-2228 and choose option 4 for Billing. Provide the representative with an invoice number (use FOIDOCH in Banner to obtain) or serial number so your account can be accessed. Provide your P-Card information for invoices for remaining monthly or quarterly charges. Please ask the representative to have future invoices sent to the appropriate contact in your department. You may also want to inquire about their online e-manage billing process.
- For your P-Card reconciliation please use the EP# that is already created. You do not have to create a new PCO.
- Remove the remainder of the encumbrance on the EP in Banner.
The following definition for an Authorized Approver has been updated in the glossary on our website located at: http://procurement.vcu.edu/about-us/glossary/
|At VCU, an Authorized Approver may be an employee’s supervisor or an employee delegated the responsibility by the responsible Dean or Vice President. While approvals must be made at the levels required by policy, approvals should always move up the chain of command from the payee, not down, to prevent the situation of a subordinate approving a supervisor’s expenses.|
If you have any questions, please contact Betty Lowther at email@example.com or 828-5954.
The tax information on Procurement Services’ website has been updated. Please review the information under section 9 \"Know Rules regarding Taxes and Freight Charges\" located at: http://procurement.vcu.edu/i-want-to/make-a-purchase/learn-about-compliance/#know-rules
Please contact the Controller's Office if you have any questions: http://www.controller.vcu.edu/uco/controllerstaff.htm.
P-Card is going Green! Bank of America will no longer be sending paper monthly statements. Beginning with the January cycle, cardholders and reviewers must view transactions in Works by using the Department Transaction Report available two days after cycle close. If you need help accessing your Department Transaction Report, please refer to our website: http://procurement.vcu.edu/i-want-to/use-p-card/
P-Card is also eliminating the number of steps it takes to sign-off on transactions in Works. The systematic requirement to indicate Receipt Status prior to Sign Off will be removed as of January 2, 2013. However, the cardholder and reviewer should not Sign Off without a receipt. The new process is as follows:
- Log into Works at https://payment2.works.com to verify that the posted transaction is accurate by comparing it to your original documentation.
- From the Home page, click Sign Off under Actions Required. Or from Tasks in the Navigation bar, click Cardholder/Transactions Requiring Sign Off.
- Select a transaction listed in the upper section of the screen to view its details in the lower section of the screen.
- To submit the transaction to your reviewer, click Sign Off. You will have the opportunity to add a comment at this point.
If you have any questions, please contact the Corporate Card Administration Team at CorpCard@vcu.edu.
The Office of Procurement Services offers many different classroom and online training opportunities. A full list and brief description of each class can be found on the Procurement Services website under Training and Support Services. http://procurement.vcu.edu/i-want-to/receive-training/
To register for available classroom classes, go to http://training.vcu.edu/. Choose “Office of Procurement Services” under “Sponsor”. Select the appropriate class and follow the instructions to register. Please note: Registrants are encouraged to keep an eye on their e-mail in the week preceding a class. Low registration numbers will result in a class cancellation.
To access classes available on Blackboard, go to http://blackboard.vcu.edu/ using your VCU eID and password and click on the “Courses” tab in the top row. Search by the class title.
A team of people from Human Resources, the Controller’s Office and Technology Services has been working very diligently to get the salary encumbrance process in Banner to function properly.
We are pleased to report that the process is finally working properly. We anticipate implementing this functionality in late February. We will be making a presentation to the MPC Fiscal Administrators on February 13 and the MCV CBOs on February 12 to explain the process.
One problem that prevents entries from posting in Banner Finance is inaccurate account codes on the job labor distribution record. Below is a list of the codes that should be used for each employee class (E-Class).
A report, Employee Type and Account Code Mismatch, will be added to the Labor Distribution folder in the VCU Reporting Center that will provide a list of any inaccurate codes for employees in your department. Please run this report periodically and make the necessary corrections.
|510110||Administrative Faculty Salaries||A1, A2, A5, A6|
|510140||Administrative Faculty PT Salaries||A3, A4|
|511140||T R Faculty PT Salaries||F3, F4|
|512110||Professional Faculty Salaries||P1, P2, P5, P6|
|512140||Professional Faculty PT Salaries||P3, P4|
|513110||MD Clinical Faculty Salaries||M1 - M6|
|514110||Other Clinical Faculty Salaries||O1, O2, O5, O6|
|514140||Other Clinical Faculty PT Salaries||O3, O4|
|520110||Classified Salaries||C1, C2, C3, C4|
|520115||Classified Salaries On Call Pay||C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6|
|520140||Classified PT Salaries||C5, C6|
|520145||VCUQ Local Salaries||QS|
|521110||Info Tech Salaries||C1, C2, C3, C4|
|521140||Info Tech PT Salaries||C5, C6|
|522140||Police PT Salaries||LE|
|530120||VCUQ Student Salaries||QH|
|530130||VCUQ Hourly Salaries||QH|
|532110||Wages Graduate Assistant||GA, G9|
|533110||Wages and Taxable Fellowship||SW|
|533140||Wages Teaching and Research||SW|
|534110||Wage Work Study||WS|
We are looking forward to sharing more information with you about this process in early February.
The following Customer Service Team email addresses have been activated immediately for improved communication with G&C Accounting:
GCAALPHAMP - ALPHA TEAM GCABETAHS - BETA TEAM GCADELTACAMC - DELTA TEAM GCAGAMMAHS - GAMMA TEAM
Each team email address will supplement the existing direct contact by administrators to a G&C Accountant (when known), and should be used when receiving an \"out of office\" email notification, or otherwise when the responsible G&C Accountant is not known. Team email folders will be reviewed daily and emails directed appropriately. The link to the updated Customer Service Teams listing is: http://www.controller.vcu.edu/grants/gc-admin/CustomerServiceTeams.pdf
Upcoming Brown Bag Sessions - Training in the follow compliance areas is being coordinated:
Details will follow as the specific dates and locations are identified.
The Grant Deficit Report in the VCU Reporting Center finance folder has been updated to identify the number of months that the listed fund has been in deficit. The report is available and updated daily. Deficits are expected to be researched and cleared monthly. Any sponsored project index which remains in deficit 4 consecutive months without special arrangements in place with G&C will be reported to the appropriate Vice President for the transactions causing the deficit to be removed from the sponsored program index. Additionally, any index on a deficit report for a fiscal period beyond the end date, including a clinical trial, is expected to have the deficit amount cleared, unless a special arrangement exists with G&C, or documentation of a recent invoice pending payment in an amount equal to or greater than the deficit is sent to G&C. Your patience is greatly appreciated as we expect to have to problem corrected during early February that is causing some grant funds to be reported with erroneous deficit fund balances. A notification via the listserve will go out to Administrators when the correction has been completed.
- Sponsored Program Receipt of Checks at G&C - Checks which are brought to the Grants and Contracts Accounting Office must be accompanied by the VCU Deposit/Receipt Form located on the Treasury Services website: http://www.vcu.edu/treasury/DepositReceiptFormIndex.pdf
The details of each check are to be written on the Deposit/Receipt form; if they are too numerous to list, a copy of the check log must be attached.
This consistent approach will help ensure that checks brought to G&C are deposited into the appropriate sponsored fund and provide proper source documentation for future reference as needed. This requirement will also reduce the number of check deposits that presently go into suspense. Please be aware that any cash deposits must only be made at the Cashier Office within Treasury Services.
- The upgraded version of ECRT now systematically communicates with principal investigators. The first system generated notification was sent to principal investigators on January 15, 2013.
- Going forward, principal investigators will be notified at the start date of a quarterly certification period, 10 days to the due date of a quarterly certification period, and on the due date of a quarterly period. The system-generated email will also include the principal investigator's effort statement if his or her statement is in an uncertified status.
- A new Blackboard Organization has been created for Effort Coordinators to assist with training and questions regarding the upgraded system. After logging into Blackboard at http://blackboard.vcu.edu/ Effort Coordinators will locate the Effort Reporting link under the \"My Organizations\" section in the lower right-hand side of the My Blackboard page. Guides, training videos, and a site map are available on that page to assist Effort Coordinators with transitioning to the new version of ECRT. Effort and ECRT training dates for 2013 are now available via the VCU Training site (http://training.vcu.edu). Please use the keyword “Effort”. If you have any questions please contact any Effort Reporting staff member or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your assistance is needed with the following upcoming effort reporting deadlines*:
Semester certifications (period 08-10-12 to 12-24-12) are due by 03-21-13 Over 38% have certified already. Keep it up!
Quarterly certifications (period 09-10-12 to 12-09-12) are due by 03-14-13 Over 60% have certified already. Great job!!!
Semi-Annual certifications (period 12/10/2011 to 06/09/2012) were due by 10-21-12
- Remember to conduct proactive reviews, communicate frequently with your faculty to verify the accuracy of their commitments, and to complete the processing of all ECRT cards assigned.
Other Effort Links:
The new ECRT url is https://ecrtprod.asauxweb.vcu.edu/ecrt
Effort Reporting's website: http://www.controller.vcu.edu/grants/effort.htm
Helpful Tools: http://www.controller.vcu.edu/grants/ECRThelpfultools.html
Thank you from the entire Grants and Contracts Accounting/Effort Reporting Staff to all Administrators for your continued efforts toward research compliance.
FGRBDSC and FGRODTA reports are now available on e~Print at https://eprint.asauxweb.vcu.edu/cgi-bin/eprint.cgi.
As you review the reports you may have questions concerning the data contained within them. Please briefly outline your questions on a Financial Inquiry and forward directly to the appropriate department via e-mail, fax, or campus mail. Remember that you can check the status of deposits or disbursements through the on-line inquiry screens.