Table of Contents
- Procurement Services
- Fiscal Year-End Processing
- Procurement Services Classes
- Travel RFPs Update
- New Charge Card Program Team Member
- P-Card Online Reconciliation Process
- Recruitment Advertising
- Hotel Focus
- Controller's Office
- Grants & Contracts Accounting Updates
- Budget Office
- Tips and Tricks
- Updates and Reminders
- ePrint Budget Reports
To facilitate payment this fiscal year, all invoices, revenue refund vouchers and travel reimbursements must be submitted to Procurement Services by 4:30 p.m., on June 15. We will do our best to process all invoices that are delivered within this timeframe. Departments are responsible for monitoring their accounts to ensure that necessary payments have been processed. Receiving may be entered into Banner until 2:30 p.m., June 29 and if the invoice is posted and matches properly with the receiving, the expense should hit your index this fiscal year. Receiving should not be completed until July for any payments that are to be expensed in FY13.
Journal Vouchers (JV) can be processed until 5:00 p.m., on June 29, providing all approvals have been completed.
All BOA Visa purchasing transactions posted from May 16 to June 15, 2012 will be posted in Banner this fiscal year provided the index code associated with the cardholder’s P-card is not frozen. All purchase transactions submitted to BOA Visa after June 15, 2012 will be paid next fiscal year.
Other deadline dates that affect FY12 processing:
June 26 is the last day to process changes to purchase orders in eVA.
June 28 is the last day to process purchase orders in eVA.
If you have any questions regarding fiscal year-end processing for Accounts Payable, please call Jamie Holcomb, 628-2877; or for Travel and Reimbursement Services, please call David Zoll, 628-2886. If you have any questions regarding year-end purchase processing or P-card expenses, please call Betty Lowther, 828-5954.
The Office of Procurement Services offers many different classroom and online training opportunities. A full list and brief description of each class can be found the Procurement Services website under Training and Support Services. http://www.vcu.edu/procurement/training/training.html
To register for available classroom classes, go to http://training.vcu.edu/. Choose "Office of Procurement Services” under "Sponsor". Select the appropriate class and follow the instructions to register. Please note: Registrants are encouraged to keep an eye on their e-mail in the week preceding a class. Low registration numbers will result in a class cancellation.
To access classes available on Black Board, go to http://blackboard.vcu.edu/ using your VCU eID and password and click on the “Courses” tab in the top row. Search by the class title.
The Travel Management Services RFP and the Travel & Expense Management Tool RFP are currently under evaluation. No additional departments will be added to the existing Online Booking Tool pilot program at this time. Updates regarding the progress of the RFPs will be included in future editions of the FA Newsletter. If you have any questions, please contact Mary Lou Bulger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 8-0904.
Lena Massie has recently joined the department as the Associate Manager for Corporate Cards. Departments are encouraged to use the email@example.com email address for inquiries related to the charge card programs. If you need to speak with someone about your P-Card or travel card, please contact Thelma Stockton at 828-4232 or Lena Massie at 828-3407.
The On Line Reconciliation (OLR) process uses Bank of America's online credit card management system (Works) to allow the cardholder to approve transactions online. Approved transactions are electronically sent through the workflow to the reviewer for approval. The reviewer has the option to review, flag, or reject the transaction. At the beginning of each new monthly cycle the cardholder's available balance is replenished, however, the amount available is reduced by the total value of the transactions that have not been fully approved by both the cardholder and reviewer. Cardholders and reviewers must approve transactions timely in accordance with established procedures or card privileges may be revoked.
Graystone Group Advertising has a VASCUPP contract to provide advertising services. This firm is able to assist departments with creation and placement of recruitment advertising for any print ad as well as placement on any online job site that might be needed. Their database contains more than 4,000 media sources including local and regional newspapers, discipline and trade specific journals and more than 1,500 Internet sites covering the full range of recruitment needs for faculty, administration and staff. If needed, diversity sources are also available to help expand your search.
To obtain pricing information, departments can submit a word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the ad content and the media sources where a quote is needed. If additional media options are desired it should be noted with the request. Quotes are returned electronically within 24 hours. Print requests are set in the pre-approved VCU template so you see print ads exactly as it will appear.
Ad approval is given to Graystone by issuing a purchase order. Graystone handles all the details including payment to the media and invoices VCU directly after the ads are placed.
- Same cost as working directly with the media.
- Discounted pricing for ads in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- No charge for design, consultation or editing.
- All charges are consolidated in a single invoice.
If you have any questions or want additional information, please contact Doug Geiling our Graystone representative at; email@example.com or 800.544.0005.
The information that follows is promotional material provided by one of our preferred lodging vendors. The vendors listed in this Hotel Focus section have agreed to VCU pricing that is either at or below CONUS rates. Information from all of our Preferred Lodging Vendors is listed on the Procurement and Payment website at: Preferred Lodging Vendors
1200 E. Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23219
The Berkeley Hotel is an AAA Four Diamond Award winning hotel located conveniently at 12th and Cary Streets at the edge of the vibrant Shockoe Slip and Richmond Financial District. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the VCU Central Campus, Downtown Canal Walk, the State Capitol, and VCU Medical College. We are pleased to offer VCU students, parents, and staff a special rate of $112 per night with all of the perks that come with the elegant and luxurious accommodations that the Berkeley has to offer.
- Complimentary Continental Breakfast
- Complimentary Valet Parking
- Complimentary Wi-Fi Internet in all rooms
- Complimentary morning newspaper
- YMCA Health Club privileges at the Jamestown Center, across the street
- Signature Berkeley Bathrobes made with plush terry-cloth
- 300 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, Goose down duvet comforter, and feather pillows
- In-Room Coffee Makers
- Same day laundry and dry-cleaning services
- Business Center, 24/7
In addition to the AAA Four Diamond lodging accommodations, The Berkeley Hotel offers an award winning restaurant on site and Full Service Meeting and Event Planners to attend to every detail of your meeting needs. Check out what The Berkeley Hotel has to offer online at http://www.berkeleyhotel.com/ or contact them directly by calling their Sales Manager, Jason Trice, at (804) 225-5149.
To allow us to prepare for the year-end close process in Banner Finance, we will suspend creation of new indexes from June 27-June 30. This includes grant indexes. Please plan accordingly. If you have any questions, please call the Banner Finance Help Line at 828-0388.
- Thanks to all 115 Administrators that participated in the Grants and Contracts Accounting (GCA) Customer Satisfaction Survey. The response rate for the survey was 32% (115/362). Data collection closed on 5/1/2012. The survey responses are currently under review, and the feedback provided will be very helpful in assisting GCA with the development of future initiatives that will better serve the VCU research community.
- Suzanne Kight, Cash Compliance Coordinator, recently departed GCA to further her education full-time. Effective 5/8/2012 the Cash Compliance Coordinator functions are being handled by Tiffany Mason and supervised by Odesta Cobbs. The Cash Compliance Coordinator may be contacted at 828-5874. A new hire to replace Tiffany as the Grant Accountant on the Alpha Customer Service Team is expected in June. Contact Alpha Team Leader Joyce Wimberly at 828-5764, or Associate Director Gloria Foote at 828-5758 with questions if Tiffany Mason is listed as the Grant Accountant for your agreement.
- A reminder to all departments to direct or bring all checks received from sponsors for grant, contract, or clinical trial payment to G&C for processing. We see that some checks received by departments have gone directly to the cashiers, thus we have recently asked the Treasury Services/Cashier Office not to record any payments to revenue. We need all grant/contract/clinical trial payments to run through the receivable in Banner.
- Grants and Contracts continues to receive a large number of requests to transfer costs (payroll and non-payroll) which occurred beyond 60 days after the Banner/ePrint month end report reflecting the erroneous posting. Departments that consistently demonstrate the lack of monthly reconciling to avoid such non-compliant risks for the University, jeopardize future funding efforts not only within their department, but also for all faculty at VCU. Labor reports should be reviewed every payroll to verify the accuracy of posting, and to ensure that any needed changes in assignments due to new funding or termination of awards have been made to the individual PAFs as needed in a timely manner. The late receipt of an official award from a sponsor is not justification to allow an employee's labor to be charged to an index that does not reflect where their effort is being performed.
- An award's conditions and the sponsor's financial reporting requirement determine how GCA Accountants setup new and continuation awards in Banner. It is an established procedure that when the sponsor requires financial reporting based on an annual budget period, and requires carry-forward approval, a new index will be established in Banner for each budget period. Agreements that do not have financial reporting requirements, or where the sponsor financial reporting requirement is cumulative based on the total project costs, a single index must be established and used for the competitive segment or project term. This procedure is expected to continue, although new budget entry procedures are currently under review that will aid budget period reporting in the research dashboard. If new funding is expected but has not been officially executed by the sponsor or OSP, and the award type requires a new Index for each budget period, an Advance Banner Index may be requested through your G&C Customer Service Team by completing and emailing the form at:
- http://www.controller.vcu.edu/grants/gc-admin/G&CBannerNumberRequest.pdf. This measure will also assist in minimizing non-compliant transfers.
- Please remember that the Fiscal Administrator's Handbook is available as a very useful reference to assist with your required monthly reconciling of all Banner Indexes. The below link is provided: http://www.controller.vcu.edu/handbook/
- Upcoming G&C Accounting Training Session scheduled dates; August 22, September 19, October 17, and November 14. All training sessions will be held in the G&C Accounting conference room. If you have specific training needs that may be of a more advanced nature, please contact Gloria Foote at 804-828-5758.
- Remember...Compliance is every employee's responsibility. THANKS!
- GCA including Effort Reporting personnel contact information can be found at: http://www.controller.vcu.edu/grants/grantsstaff.htm.
- Customer Service Teams assigned to various schools and departments is located also on the Controller website at:
Effort Reporting and ECRT Updates:
- GCA and Effort Reporting will be upgrading ECRT to release v4.1. The planning phase will take place between May - August 2012. Effort Coordinators should have received a survey seeking responses that will assist Effort Reporting in the planning phase to determine capabilities needed to assist them with their coordinator responsibilities. Training is scheduled to take place during the Fall 2012. Updates regarding the status of the upgrade will be provided as they are available. Some of the enhancements with the upgrade will be:
- Improvements with displaying data and items requiring action; system generated emails and alerts; improved reporting; and inquiry/look-up.
- Your assistance is needed with the following upcoming effort reporting deadlines:
- Quarterly certifications (period 12-10-11 to 3-09-12) are due by 06-14-12
- Semester certifications (period 12-25-11 to 05-09-12) are due by 08-14-12
- Remember to conduct proactive reviews, communicate frequently with your faculty to verify the accuracy of their commitments, and to complete the processing of all ECRT cards assigned.
- ECRT’s updated URL is: https://effort.ts.vcu.edu/ecrt/initWelcome.do
Other Effort Links:
Effort Reporting's website: http://www.controller.vcu.edu/grants/effort.htm
Helpful Tools: http://www.controller.vcu.edu/grants/ECRThelpfultools.html
Have you ever had a “mental block” when trying to remember a form name in INB Banner? If you can remember part of the form name, you are in luck! In the “Go To” box, type the part that you can remember along with the “%” wildcard to find the form. A pop up box will give you all the forms along with a description that matches your input or it might even open the form that you need. For example:
- FGI%: a pop up box will give you all 15 forms that begin with FGI. Select the form you want and click “ok” to open the form.
- %ND: a pop up box will give you all 19 forms that end with ND. Again, select the form you want and click “ok” to open the form.
- %TRND: since there is only one form that ends with “TRND”, Banner opens up that form for you.
- The FY 2013 Tuition and Fees and University Budget Plan was adopted by the Board of Visitors on May 11, 2012 and can be found on the Budget Office website, http://www.budget.vcu.edu/pdf/FY%202012-2013%20Adopted%20Budget%20Plan.pdf
- FY 2013 Budget will be loaded and available on Monday, July 2, 2012.
- Budget Implementation Summaries will be provided the first week of July, 2012.
- If you have keyed any permanent budget transactions after March 31, 2012, please remember that you will need to re-key them after July 2 for FY 2013.
- Find out what is new in the Budget Process Transformation by clicking on the following link: http://www.budget.vcu.edu/transformation/index.html
- Click on “Presentations” to view the FY 2013 University Budget Plan that was presented to the Board of Visitors on May 11, 2012.
- The “Budget 101” PowerPoint presentation along with a videotaped session is also available on the “Presentations” link.
- If you have any comments or questions, you can use the “Comments” link or directly email to GOTBUDGET@vcu.edu
- Are you a new fiscal administrator and need some one-on-one guidance and tutoring from the Budget Office? Or, if you have been around for a while and would still like some one-on-one time with your budget analyst to discuss topics/projects/questions/suggestions, please contact your budget analyst to schedule a time where we can come out and visit you!
FGRBDSC and FGRODTA reports are now available on e~Print at https://eprint.asauxweb.vcu.edu/cgi-bin/eprint.cgi.
As you review the reports you may have questions concerning the data contained within them. Please briefly outline your questions on a Financial Inquiry and forward directly to the appropriate department via e-mail, fax, or campus mail. Remember that you can check the status of deposits or disbursements through the on-line inquiry screens.